Halloughton Hall "Ledger" - Writings of Soldiers wounded at Gallipoli  

The following is a list of the names of soldiers wounded at Gallipoli in 1915 and who added statements and messages to the ledger book opened by Nurse Commandant Mabel King when the Hall was a convalescing hospital for wounded soldiers. The hospital operated during 1915 and appears there were still patients in the early part of 1916.

Each underlined name gives entry to either  a photo copy or typewritten copy of that soldiers entry in the ledger.

(To read the soldier's account click on his name which is underlined)

Private G.F. Brown, 1st Battalion The Border Regiment: From an examination of the medal index cards, it seems likely that Private Brown was Private George Frederick Brown, army number 8443. He was in all probability a regular soldier who served with the 1st Battalion which was brought back from Burma to England and sent to make up the invasion force for the Dardanelles. Later in his service after his stay at Halloughton Hall he was transferred for the remainder of the war to the Army Service Corp which at the of the war was given the title the Royal Army Service Corp. The Medal Records show that he was discharged in February 1919. It has not been possible to find anything of his history before the war or afterwards

Sergeant James Archibald Campbell, Z company 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers: It has not so far been possible to trace the history of Sergeant Campbell before or after the war. However there is a medal index card which shows a sergeant of this name with the regiment and entering active service on 25 April 1915 i.e. the date of the commencement of the Dardanelles’s landings. He later became an acting Warrant Officer and then on 30 April 1918 was commissioned as Second Lieutenant with the Royal Irish Regiment. He appears to have left the army in 1925. He gives a vivid account of the horrors of the landing of which he was part on 25th April and during which he was wounded.

Private W Harley, 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers: Private Harley in his account in the ledger tells that had been serving with the 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers in India. He had been there for six years when war broke out in August 1914 and due to return to the UK in September 1914 at the end of his colour service. Instead he returned to the UK with his regiment to join the war. The regiment formed part of the force to land in Gallipoli at the start of the campaign on 25 April 1915. The account gives detail of the landing, heavy fighting and the taking of a Turkish trench and prisoners. Shot in the knee by a Turkish sniper later that day he was evacuated to England for treatment before convalescing at Halloughton.

It has not been possible to find anything about his life and family before of after the war. The 1911 Census lists William Harley serving in India with 2nd Royal Fusiliers and born in Staines, Middlesex. His year of birth would be 1888.

Corporal John Thomas Jones 13/170, New Zealand Mounted Rifles: Unlike others Corporal Jones did not write about his experiences but provided a postcard and a rhyme. It is especially interesting because it shows a long ended relationship between the member countries of what was then the British Empire. Through the National Archives Records of New Zealand it has been possible to see Corporal Jones army records and hence find out a good deal about him. He was 32 years old when he joined up on 11 August 1914. He was employed as a civil servant working on the government railways. He was living in Newmarket, Auckland and his next of kin was Miss M.A, Jones living in Wellington who perhaps was his sister. His records showed he had already served in the New Zealand Mounted Rifles during the Boer War. In August 1915 in the Dardanelles he was wounded and suffered concussion. He was evacuated to England and was convalescing at Halloughton Hall when he added his message. He was able to return to his unit in Egypt but appears to have suffered another wound and sickness. After being invalided back to New Zealand in May 1916 he was discharged as unfit in March 1917. He then appears to have gone to live in Featherston, Wellington. He died in July 1956. 

Private Herbert Bruce Lawrence, 2nd Battalion Australian Infantry: Private Lawrence describes joining up to help the old country and sailing to Egypt and then the Dardanelles with the Anzacs. He then describes the landing and fighting at Sair Bair until he was wounded. Through the Australian National Archives it has been possible to see Private Lawrence's army records. Together with other online records it has been established his father had been a coal merchant and that he was born in Ashbury, Berkshire around 1894 but must have emigrated sometime after 1911 but before 1914. After he had recovered from his wound he saw action  with the Anzacs on the Western Front. After hospitalization for first influenza and then pneumonia he was discharged as permanently unfit on 12 December 1917 suffering from tuberculosis. He chose not to return to Australia and had married Mabel B Rutt in early 1916. They appear to have settled in Southampton and despite the illness which had made him unfit for service he lived until 1972.    

Private F McDowell, 1st Border Regiment: Private McDowell describes his landing with the 1st Border Regiment on the 25th April 1915. It is not been possible to ascertain for certain more detail about him. He concludes his comments by saying that 2nd June 1915 he was waiting to go on leave “before going to the front again”. It is possible that is first name initial is not “F” but checking the medal records index for the Great War it has not been possible to identify a McDowell who was in the Dardanelles on 25 April 1915. Hopefully more information may emerge.

Lance Corporal Power, 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers: L/Cpl Power was wounded at the Dardanelles. He was a regular soldier who at the outbreak of war was serving in China where he saw action before returning with his unit to the UK and then to join the attack on the Dardanelles. His contribution mainly describes the action in China against the Germans and in support of our allies the Japanese. He was wounded in his left hip on Bonfire night! two days before the Germans surrendered. It has not so far been possible to identify him from the Medal Records Index. There were a number of men called Power serving but none of their service records fit with what L/Cpl Power describes.

Private Samuel Weston, Army Number 11584, 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment: Private S Weston did not give his regiment on the note he wrote in the ledger. But he explains he was in Burma when war broke out. So were the 4th Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment. As he describes they came to England and then to the Dardanelles. Samuel Weston's medal index record card shows that he entered a war zone on 25th April 1915 and that was the Dardanelles and he was with the Worcestershire Regiment. As with several other of the writings this is a vivid account of the landing and the fighting. Samuel was discharged from the army at the end of the war, Nothing has been discovered of his life before and after the war with the exception that he was a regular soldier who had been in India and Burma since 1909.

Private Sidney Wilkes,Army Number 10367, 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment: His account tells of how the unit came back to the U.K. and falls in line with the account of Private Weston above including the same troopship. The text in the link is from the typewritten copy of the ledger and his regiment has been misread. S. Wilkes is Sidney Wilkes of the Worcesters as above. There is a discrepancy insofar as S. Wilkes signs himself Lance Corporal and Sidney's Medal Record Index shows him as a Private but it may be by the end of the war he was a Private. From the 1911 Census, Sidney is shown as stationed in Burma and born in Droitwich about 1888. It is known he eventually settled in Staffordshire and had children. He died in 1940.  

Private C.E.B. Woods, 1st Border Regiment : Private Woods describes the landing of the 1st Battalion of the Border Regiment in the Dardanelles on Sunday the 25th April. It appears he was Private Cecil E. B. Woods and is shown on a Medal Records Index as army number 9433. There is a second Medal Records Index showing him having achieved the rank of Sergeant. After the Dardanelles the 1st Border Regiment saw action and heavy fighting on the Western Front. As yet we have not discovered any firm evidence of what happened to him after the war and who his family was and where he was born.

Community Web Kit provided free by BT